Monday, May 16, 2011

A Family Recipe Was the Answer All Along

I have tried several meatball recipes in hopes of freezing them in meal portions to make life easier when I return to work. I was disappointed with failed attempts, so I decided to try my grandmothers recipe for meatloaf that we love. BINGO! Why didn't I think of that first? Nothing was wrong with the other attempt, its just I don't like my meatloaf too dense or dry. My grandmother's recipe is moisten with tomato sauce instead of milk and the cornbread adds a just the right flavor instead of bread crumbs, crackers, etc.

Mamaw's Meatloaf/Meatballs
2lbs hamburger
2 eggs
1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
1 medium green pepper (chopped)
1/2 skillet of cornbread (mom always used the Jiffy box, so do I...turns out great every time)
8oz of tomato sauce (1/2 of a 16oz can, so you can use the other 1/2 for the topping)

In a large bowl, mix hamburger, eggs, onion, green pepper with finely crumbled cornbread until everything is mixed well.
For meatballs: shape into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
For meatloaf muffin cups: press mixture into a greased muffin tin. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
For mini loaves: shape mixture into small loaves and place in a casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
For a large loaf: shape mixture in a loaf in a 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.
*I shape the loaves that the sides are showing and not touching the dish, so that when basting the sauce on it will have more surface area for it to stick to. We love lots of sauce, so much we usually double the recipe*

Sauce for topping the Meatloaf
8 oz of tomato sauce (the other 1/2 of the can)
3oz of  brown sugar
3 oz of mustard
3 oz of apple cider vinegar
Baste sauce onto loaf until completely covered about 15 minutes before it is done baking.

Enjoy!

I will add pictures later...

No comments:

Search This Blog